12 Months - 12 Inspirational Women - Month One
Catherine Roscoe Barr – Wellness Coach and Writer – The Life Delicious
Catherine Roscoe Barr, or CRB, as I like to call her, is a ball of positivity and joy, just one minute in her presence and you can’t help to feel excited about even the most mundane things. “Wow look at the plants they have here, they are on NASA’s clean air plants, I must ask how they keep them alive!”.
We met in The Birds & The Beets in Gastown and spent the next 2 hours energetically exchanging ideas like two teenagers in love. Catherine really is da bomb, and this is why she was my choice to start my 12 Months – 12 Inspirational Women series. Every month I will meet with an inspirational woman, at the end I will ask them to refer me to someone who is inspirational to them. 2016 is my year for connection so join me on my journey to connect with some incredible people!
Why CRB is inspirational:
1. She isn’t, in her words, “A Wellness Robot”.
The reason I was attracted to Catherine is that she doesn’t have the all or nothing mentality and isn’t all Judgy McJudgerson about the common folk who eat pizza, drink wine and binge watch Netflix. We met at a party where I was shovelling down hors d'oeuvre’s and after learning her occupation I knew she must be denouncing my hedonistic ways. Nope! She had already attacked the snacks and was enjoying a healthy sized glass of wine herself. CRB wants you to be happy and balanced and if that includes trips to the local kebab joint, then that’s cool.
2. She is kind, supportive even though she is crazy busy
Have you ever seen that quote “Her success is not your failure”? CRB embodies this so hard it hurts. She supports people in her community, people not yet in her community and she is totally genuine about it too! You know when someone helps you because they want something in return: not CRB.
3. She loves learning
Catherine has at least 5 books from the library out at all times, is a “self help course junkie” and embraces areas where she lacks knowledge in her life. She has a thousand ideas to share with people she connects with from things to read, people to follow on Twitter, and Ted Talks to watch. Her insatiable learning in turn bleeds into other peoples lives. Coming away from coffee with her I had 2 pages of notes of things to look up, try out or sign up for.
Catherine’s top 3 list
I couldn’t possibly pick my absolute favourites but these are a few of my current tops 3’s!
Top 3 Favourite Books:
1. Big Magic by Elizabeth Gilbert http://www.elizabethgilbert.com/books/
2. Rising Strong by Brené Brown http://brenebrown.com/books/
3. Bouncing Forward by Michaela Haas http://www.michaelahaas.com/
Top 3 “Ah-ha” moments:
1. I’m in control of my experience of the world, and through practicing self-care, prioritizing positivity, and moving through the fear of chasing big scary dreams, I can create a purposeful, passionate and peaceful life.
2. Embracing the practice – and detaching from any idea of perfection – of being a teacher, best described by Maya Angelou: “If you teach, you have to live your teaching. You have to say, ‘I’m doing my best to live what I teach.’”
3. Self-nurturing is the greatest gift you can give to the world, and not the least bit selfish. When you’re your best self, your creativity and compassion expand. In the words of author and psychologist Gay Hendricks, “I expand in abundance, success and love every day, as I inspire those around me to do the same.”
Top 3 successes in life:
1. Choosing to be open to the goodness in the world.
2. Listening to my inner voice, albeit not until it screamed, and starting my own company.
3. Committing to connecting with my inner wisdom every day.
Top 3 things people should try today:
1. Decide how you want to feel (in your mind, your body, your heart, your gut and your spirit).
2. Discover what things make you feel those ways (movement, nutrition, people, passions, silence).
3. Make time to do a few of those things every single day.
Top 3 influential people in your life:
1. My husband, Aaron, is my rock, my sounding board, my cheerleader, my best friend, my hero, my endless source of delight.
2. My amazing parents are limitless forces of inspiration, love and support.